Sunday, July 15, 2012

Shopping and Baseball

We had a busy weekend!  We all left the house, going in different directions, on Friday afternoon.  T and I have been planning to go to a Mariner’s game with some friends for a while now, and since I was having my baby shower on our anniversary on Tuesday (8 years!) we decided this was the perfect weekend to go.  It was our birthday/anniversary/babymoon celebration.

The road trip was a bit uncomfortable for me at this point.  It made me nervous considering we are planning on going on an even longer one in a few weeks for a wedding. :/  But we made the drive with no problems and made it to the Seattle area in time to have dinner, check into our hotel, and do a little swimming before going to bed.

The next morning we got up and drove to IKEA since none of us had ever been there before.  It definitely lived up to my expectations!  I have heard so many people talk about it that I’ve always wanted to go.  What a fun place!  It really is an experience!  We spent two hours walking through it and came out with a few things.  You could easily spend three or four hours there.  We were just browsing and walking, but it would take way longer if you looked at every little thing!

After IKEA we headed to downtown Seattle and Pike’s Place Market. 

seattle4

We hadn’t been since 2005 when my cousins were visiting!  It was crazy!  I couldn’t believe the crowds.  It felt even more crowded than DisneyWorld in spots!

We walked in the back way and happened down this alley where all these people were taking pictures.  When we got closer we saw why!  I have been to this place probably a dozen times and have never seen this.  A gum wall!  I could not believe the crazy amounts of gum! I had to join the photographers.

seattle2

Crazy!  And pretty cool in a disgusting, germy sort of way. :)

seattle3

We walked around the market, had lunch at a little café, stopped at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory for dessert, and then meandered back to our car.  After walking around IKEA for two hours that morning and then the market for a few hours that afternoon I was tired and hurting so we didn’t stay out any longer.

It ended up working out well because we headed over to the ballpark an hour earlier than planned and got to watch the batting practice.  We also got free t-shirts since it was the night’s promotion for the first 15,000 fans through the gates.

We got to see Josh Hamilton play.  I didn’t know who he was but my husband told me he’s a really good, and popular, player.  He was right in front of us since we sat in left field.

seattle

We were sitting only four seats away from the bull pen so we also got to see a lot of the pitchers warming up. 

seattle5

It was a really good game!  Texas 0, Mariners 7!  There were several double plays, a home run, and a complete game shut out by Felix Hernandez.  Very good game.  We had a great time with our friends!

seattle1

This morning we slept in a bit, had breakfast, hit some outlet malls, and made our way home.  What a fun weekend! 

P.S. I’ll give you the girls’ version of the weekend tomorrow. :)

2 comments:

  1. How fun! That gum wall is amazing - it puts the Gum Pole in Charleston to shame!! Now THAT'S a touristy thing I'd like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fun little trip to Seattle. I've never seen the gum wall either. IKEA is a fun store to look through huh? Most of there stuff is too modern for me but there are some good deals to be found and it's fun to browse. Vice heard they have decent food too but we've never eaten there

    ReplyDelete