Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sight Words

I bought Bug some sight word flash cards the other day. She has five or six down as true sight words (ones she looks at and knows automatically). The other ones she is pretty good about sounding out, but some of them are hard to sound out and even harder to explain. The worst we've come across so far is why "one" and "won" sound the same. The rules of English seem really complicated when trying to learn to read. It seems like every other word I'm saying, "Well most of the time it is ____ but in this case it's _____." Oh well, I guess we all eventually figure it out no matter how strange it may be. :)

(Sorry the second video is so shaky. Boo was trying to jerk the camera out of my hand with the string).

~

Our Pastor's wife recently started a preschool in her home so we've decided to send Bug next fall. She is an amazing woman who K already loves and it's only three mornings a week so we think she'll do fine. Now I have a lot more motivation to work with her on her reading...I just have to remind myself that she is still only three and not to push her too much. She's a firstborn all the way and she definitely doesn't need any help from me and my own Type A personality. :)

4 comments:

  1. That is great! I wish I had someone great for Keiths schooling. He is so social.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I ever recommend this site to you?
    http://www.starfall.com/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great!! Ali's had trouble starting reading - especially sight words. Math comes sooo much easier for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so great she is reading! I love a mom who works with her kidds:)

    ReplyDelete