Poor little Peanut had her check-up today and had to have SIX shots! The doctor asked if we wanted to get them over with, saying that some people prefer to spread them out between this appointment and the 15 month check-up, but that he recommends just getting it all over with at once. That sounded like a good deal to me, and I really couldn’t remember what shots the other two had at this age so I said yes. I didn’t realize that meant six different pokes, two in each leg and one in each arm! I thought they combined some shots??
At least it’s over and done with and she doesn’t have to have any more shots till 18 months. She screamed like crazy when the nurse and I had her pinned down and two others were poking her, but the second I picked her up she stopped and just kind of whimpered for a minute. Poor baby. I HATE making them get shots. I tell the girls not to use that word, but I really do hate it with everything it implies!
She was completely calm afterwards as we went across the parking lot to see Daddy and had lunch with him in the hospital’s new café (Bug and Boo are spending the night at Noni’s). She smiled and charmed everyone who came by and seemed to have no ill effects whatsoever.
She’s doing great on her growth. She weighed in at 19lbs. 1oz. which is “creeping up on the 75%” the doctor said, and she was 30.25 inches long which is also the 75%. So she is doing awesome! I looked back at Boo’s one year checkup and she was about the same height but only weighed 17lbs. 4oz. Buggy was 17 lbs. 12oz. and only 29.75 inches.
She is wearing 9-12 month clothes and in between a size 2-3 for shoes. In the last few days she has really been working on standing on her own, and walking while holding onto things.
Yesterday she found the remote on the couch, picked it up, turned and pointed it at the TV and started hitting buttons, saying, “Ah? Ah?” Smart little cookie.
The girls are excited that she can have the forbidden foods now: peanut butter, honey, eggs, and strawberries. They have been great about making sure no one gives her those things. Boo tells people, “She dust a baby. She can’t have peanut buttah and jeh-wee!” which is their favorite food!
For now she is still nursing four times a day and she eats solids with us at each meal. I have some dental work scheduled in October that I’m going to take some stronger medication for to help me relax so I’ll need to try to wean her by then. She’s actually not all that interested in nursing anyway at this point. She eats well in the morning, but the other three feedings I can barely get five minutes out of her. She’s much too busy to sit still and nurse! I’m guessing it won’t be that hard to wean her, and I’ve got lots of pumped milk stored in the deep freezer so that she won’t have to drink cow’s milk any time soon.
The doctor said she looks great, and was happy with her progress. She sure keeps us busy! :)
Yay peanut!! That is a whole lot of shots:( I really dislike shots too-I think its harder on us parents than it is actually them though!
ReplyDelete