Tuesday, June 10, 2025

Soccer Tournament!

Phew! What a crazy soccer season! I think this one felt more chaotic to me because every other spare minute was spent desperately trying to get through our to-do list before graduation.  

Picture day was cold and rainy! Boo gave me a smile, but Lou only wanted to scowl.
 
 
 And this poor girl...when I went in to wake her up for her game early that morning she said, "I feel terrible! I've been throwing up all night!" I asked why she didn't come get me and she said she couldn't make it all the way downstairs so she had just been throwing up in her trash can. : { Poor baby.  I didn't want her to miss out on pictures so we got her dressed and brought a puke bucket in the car and she sat and waited while D played her game. Then I made her wear a mask and took her in for her pictures. She took off her mask only while getting her picture taken and then I gave her a piggy back to the car where she promptly threw up in her bucket. :( We had brought two cars so as soon as T was done coaching he took everyone else home and I stayed and watched Peanut's game. This is her right before leaving.
 
 
At least D had a good day! She lost, but scored a goal so she was happy!
 
 
 
The next weekend was the play weekend. Auntie Nae and Cousin K had spent the night at our house after opening night and came to the games with us the next morning. Peanut played at 9 and 10 and lost one and tied one.
 
  
 
This was Lou's highlight game of the season! Her team won 13 to 0 and she scored 6 goals!! She would have scored even more but Daddy called her and one of the other boys off and had them play defense. 

 
Lou is such a natural athlete! She is super fast and just has an innate ability to move her body in a way that allows her to manipulate the ball to where she wants it go. 

 
 She is also not afraid to go after the ball!

 
Peaches improved so much this season! She played her little heart out and truly gave it her all. She wasn't the fastest or the most skilled but she made up for it with determination and hustle!

 
And she got really good at defense! She excelled at booting the ball up field when it came to her and most of the time she managed a perfect pass to a teammate!

 
They had been asking me every week if we could get ice cream after the games so since we had Cousin K with us this weekend we finally took time to stop. This little coffee shop serves ice cream made from a local raw milk dairy and it was really good!

 
The final weekend was the tournament and also the day of banquet. Noni and F joined us and we had quite the cheering section! I got this picture.

 
And a little later Noni got this one. Unfortunately it was COLD for the tournament. I think it was still in the 40's for our first game. Peanut and Peaches both played at 8:00AM so we had to get up really early to get there by 7:30.

 
They both lost their first game but I was so proud of how hard they worked! 
 
 
Lou's tournament was a little disjointed. We only had 7 kids on our team to begin with this season and two of the girls (sisters) had to go to a wedding, one boy was having surgery, and another boy couldn't make it so they switched Lou and our other two girls to another team for the tournament and T didn't have to coach. 
 
The first game Lou did great and played hard! They ended up losing, and we were supposed to play at 11, but because another team needed more players they switched her again and she had to play at 10. I think she was confused with all the switching and when the second new coach put her in her position for the start of the game they blew the whistle and she just stood there. She was not going to move from where he told her to stand. Haha. I yelled at her to go get the ball and then she started moving but I could tell she was still a little unsure about where to go and what to do. 
 
The second team they played was also pretty rough. One little boy in particular would shove her down when she was on a breakaway with the ball...and then he would help her up and apologize. Interesting approach. Lol. She got a penalty kick the first time and he toned it down but was still doing it. After he did it a couple times I noticed she stopped trying so hard to get the ball. She still ended up being one of the best players on that team. I am looking forward to next year when she will be the oldest in her age bracket! If it's anything like this year she will dominate!

 
Her new team ended up losing so that was her last game of the season. Peanut played at 11 so we headed over to her field and set up.

 
She had a great season and really enjoyed playing with her friends!
 

They played so hard and ended up in a tie. We'd done that twice before but in tournament they can't have a tie so they had a shootout! Thankfully Peanut didn't get chosen as one of the 5 to shoot because it was so nerve wracking! Just one kid and the goalie while a hundred people watched. :P But they won! It ended up being 2-0 after five kids from each team took their shot! Whoo hoo!

 
They ended up playing the next morning during church. We let her go with her friends and the rest of us went to services. It sounds like the game was a heart breaker. They were tied 1-1 and in the last 5 seconds one of the other team's players scored on an offsides that wasn't called. Such a bummer! But they got 3rd place and we are proud of how hard they all worked! 
 
But as for Peaches....thankfully Noni was there that day because she didn't play until 2PM and I had to be at home to help Boo get ready for banquet and take pictures. Peaches' team ended up winning their game! I was sorry to miss it, but because they won they played again that afternoon at 4PM so I was able to make it back for her last game. You could tell that all the kids were exhausted. They totally could have beaten the other team if they'd been fresh but two of our best players just didn't have anything left in the tank and the other team ended up beating us 4-2. The rest of us came and went but Peaches ended up being there for 10 hours that day!
 
It was a hard fought season and I was so proud of Peaches. She was so tired but she never gave up and hustled her little heart out! She loved her coach and had a wonderful season! I'm proud of all three of our soccer girls!! They worked hard, improved their skills, and had great teamwork. Way to go girls!! 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment