Both Boo and Peaches decided they wanted to do basketball this year!
Bug actually wanted to play as well but this little league version only goes up through 6th grade. Whoops. This is something I really struggle with. I feel like we just can't do everything. Especially with five kids! If we did everything offered we would never be home on weeknights or weekends. We would be going in five different directions all the time and we would all be utterly exhausted. But the downfall of being choosy in our activities is that sometimes one or more of the girls misses out on something.
Poor Buggy definitely gets the short end of that stick, being the oldest. By the time I get around to accepting that this is a busy season of life and I am going to have to give up more of our precious time she has "missed the boat" in certain areas. Definitely feeling some "mom guilt" over that. :{
Anyway...Boo and Peanut were able to join and while it has been a huge learning curve and not the easiest sport to jump into, they are both working hard and doing very well for beginners! Peanut's team is mostly beginners so she is learning right along with the rest of them.
I really don't understand why they don't lower the hoop for this age. That thing is so high for these little girls!
She did finally figure out how to heft it up there, but it definitely takes every muscle in her little body!
Sometimes during practice we will hang out at the gym. Here is Lou's "what can I destroy" face. :P
Peanut is working hard, but it's really hard to pick up on all the intricacies of the game with only one short practice a week. The refs are high school girls who give them pointers during the game and try to help them figure out where to go so that is really nice.
Boo has had a harder road because she is one of only two new girls. The rest played last year and also started playing in a city league last Fall. We didn't allow her to join that league because their games have all been in the city (an hour away) at 7:45PM, on AWANA nights. She is trying so hard, but it is definitely not easy coming in what seems like mid-season (even though it's not) because all these girls have been playing together for months.
She gets an A+ for effort and hustle though! She is almost always the first one back down the court...now we just have to get her to turn and plant so she can stop the girl running with the ball. ;)
I've been bringing the little ones to the home games. They are very busy in the stands, but they do pretty well. This little one does not like sitting still. Haha.
Daddy has been taking them to the away games. I think it is his propensity for chatting, but they are almost always 30-60 minutes later than I expect them to be. :P I usually text if it's been more than 30 minutes...the worrier in me I guess. Hey, it's winter which means icy, snowy roads in a squirrely pickup...I think I have the right to worry a little. He sent me this picture with the title "proof of life" one day after I asked him if they were ok. :P
Because they are such beginners it's easy to see the improvement from week to week. Each week they are better and understand more of the rules. The first week one of Peanut's teammates just grabbed the ball and started running down the court...with all the parents and the coach yelling "Dribble!" and another one went the wrong way and tried to shoot into our own basket, thankfully it missed. ;)
Here the other team shot and made a basket. Peanut caught the ball as it came down and started dribbling out of the key with the biggest smile on her face! She was so happy that she got the ball. It was so sweet. The ref kindly explained that she needed to bring the ball out of bounds and throw it in to a teammate.
She did a good job and was the one to pass in the ball for the rest of the time she was in. :)
Peanut plays on the 2nd/3rd grade team. The 2nd graders technically don't have games so they play at 9 with the 3rd graders. Boo plays at 10 every week with the 4th grade team, and then (since we only have two 5th graders) they turn right around and play another game (the 5th grade game) at 11.
Since we are there for three hours of basketball I make sure to bring a bag of tricks for the waiting sisters. This is what our spot in the stands looks like.
Lou does surprisingly well being cooped up in the stands. Especially considering she is supposed to nap at 10! Right after this picture I put her on my lap and wondered why she felt so warm. The large wet spot on my jeans soon answered that question so we headed to the bathroom for a diaper and outfit change. Too bad I didn't pack myself another pair of pants. :P
I am so proud of these girls for trying something new! It's definitely not easy to be the beginner, but they are taking on the challenge and doing great.
We are looking forward to watching them grow in this new sport!
The season for this league is short...only 5 weeks...so we are already done with Saturday games. All they have left now is a tournament in a couple weeks. Go team!
No comments:
Post a Comment