Tuesday, August 21, 2018

McDonald Observatory

I've always heard people talk about the McDonald Observatory, but I've never been there. We decided this might be a good year to go. Most people go for the "Star Party" which doesn't start till about 10pm so that's the reason we've never gone before...it makes for a really late night when you factor in the hour drive. Aunt J found out they did Solar tours so she set one up for us. 
Noni, again, stayed back with Peaches so she could nap, and Peanut stayed too since I figured it might be a little long and over her head. I've come to realize that if a kid is free to get in somewhere that means they are too young to enjoy it. Lol. It was very educational for Bug and Boo and us adults! We learned a lot about the sun and astronomy. I can't remember all the exact facts, but I'm pretty sure they said they had the largest telescope in the lower 48. We got to see two of their huge telescopes. Very neat!


It didn't feel like it, but the top of the mountain is almost 7,000 ft! I found it so interesting that the scientists actually live up there year round. There is a school for their kids and they have their own little community up on top of a mountain.


We grabbed a group picture at the end before heading back to camp.


The little ones had fun with Noni! After naps she took them to the concession stand for snowcones! 


 With a quick stop at the water fountain. :)


Happy girls! 


And they got to climb on the little rocks!


Sweet sisters!


Some years the bell doesn't get painted at all. We were happy to find that it got painted every night this year!


I think these pictures were from another day...M found out Uncle T is great for roughhousing. :) 

 

When you are so tired you fall asleep mid-tortilla.


Sweet baby.


I heard him cry a grand total of two times the entire week! And who could blame him...both times he was getting a cold bath in an old tub. He is SUCH a good, easy going baby! I hope our new one is as easy as him! 

  
  
These two didn't mind the outside bath! 


It's Boo and Batman! :)

  

All three girl got top bunks and loved it!

  

Aunt Karen brought a rail for Peanut so she wouldn't fall out. 

  

I ended up sleeping below Boo for all but the first two nights. One night T, K, A, and I went to see the Marfa lights after the kids were down. We got back at 10:15, and Boo was very close to the edge of her bed. I finally got situated and she slipped off and landed on her feet. Thankfully she didn't land on her head!

 

Night night!

No comments:

Post a Comment