Last year I read about a great little Nativity set on my friend Rachel’s blog. Later, after Christmas, I just happened upon one remaining set at our Christian bookstore. It was 75% off and I happily snatched it up. I had forgotten all about it until I got out the Christmas decorations this year so I wrapped it up and let the girls open it.
The set comes with a pamphlet style book but since the traditional book was, I think 90% off and less than $2, I bought it as well.
The book came with a cd of a narrative of the story so we went through the book, opening each “present” as it came up. The girls were thrilled to find the figurines inside and set up the nativity scene.
At the end of every page there is a catchy little tune that get stuck in your head. It says, “What God wants for Christmas, it’s to you a surprise, in box #7 it is disguised. But no peeking, be patient, for this you must wait, it’s what you offer Him, and it’s really greeaaat!” So there is a ton of build up and Bug was expecting something REALLY GREAT in box #7. After all, it IS what God wants for Christmas, it must be really special!
I must confess I totally laughed out loud at her stricken face when she opened the box and found it "empty”. She almost cried.
Me: “It’s not empty, what’s in there? What does God want for Christmas?”
Bug: “Uhh, a mirror?”
(Yes, my oh-so-literal child, God wants a mirror for Christmas.)
Me: “Who’s in there?”
Bug: “Huh?”
Me: “Who. Is. In. There?”
Bug: (tentatively) “Me?” (then excitedly as the light starts to dawn) “MEEE?”
Such a sweet little set. They have been playing with it every day, going through each little box till they get to the end. Hopefully I can find some more on sale this year, if I do you know what the niece and nephews are getting next Christmas! :)
That is absolutely precious!! I love her expressions.
ReplyDeleteKaren
I'm so glad they like it!!
ReplyDelete