Living with a four year old also means living in an alternate reality 75% of the time. Most of the time I am happy to be one of the thousands of characters she comes up with every week, but inevitably, without warning, I reach the breaking point and just feel like screaming, "NO! I JUST WANT TO BE ME!" Usually I am able to calmly say, "No thank you, I don't feel like playing right now." But most of the time I don't bother b/c it is easier to just go along with it than to listen to the endless questions of, "Why? Why not? Why don't you want to be Mama bear? Would you rather be sister bear? Or you could be Belle. Or Cinderella? Why don't you want to play with me Mommy?" And so, most of my days are spent pretending to be characters from books, one of her friends, friends' mommies, people from movies, other family members, and most of all princesses.

Princess K has the power to dub others as princesses as well.

Sometimes Boo thinks it's fun and other times she just wants to be left alone. I am looking forward to the day when they both enjoy pretend and can go off and slay those dragons together.

But for now I am the one guarding the castle, and while most of the time I would rather make dinner without having to pretend to be the royal chef, I am trying to treasure these innocent moments of make believe.
Ha Ha. Yesterday, I was one of the 7 dwarfs, then the wicked queen, then the prince...who kissed "Snow White" on the cheek. We acted out the story three times until I finally said, "I think I just want to be Noni for a little bit." Then somehow, I was in the woods again beckoning for my beloved Snow White...when Mommy came home from the dentist...whew!
ReplyDeleteI remember those days... Just hold on a bit longer! S is almost big enough to play with K. And if they're like my children, they'll spend the whole day playing with each other and you'll have TOO much time on your hands. It's usually when Ethan goes down for a nap that Elora turns to me for a playmate these days.
ReplyDelete- Elizabeth
I totally get this! :)
ReplyDelete