Monday, September 20, 2010

J-E-L-L-O

Well, I've taken the plunge! Into homeschooling that is...as much as a 3 year old needs/wants, which for us is only about 15-30 minutes a day. We haven't been doing anything too extraordinary and in truth it's not all that different than what we would normally do other than that we have a specific time set aside that is a little more focused and we call it "playing school".
~
I have been trying to think of some fun ways to learn and this one came to me last night. Bug hasn't been too interested in writing her letters. She will do it on her own every now and then but if I ask her to do it she digs her heels in. So I decided to try to do something fun to help her practice writing her letters. This is what I came up with...pudding!
We got through the entire alphabet and she listened well and cooperated! No frustration! She is not too big on sitting still so any time I can get her to sit still and focus on an activity it is a success.
~
Proudly displaying "her" letter.
I would show her how to write the letter in the chocolate and then she would copy me in the vanilla. I was worried that we weren't going to have enough vanilla to make it to the end of the alphabet since she was eating so much but we made it....barely. :) After we did all 26 letters I let her play in it while I checked my e-mail.

I got through all my e-mails and looked over to find this.

Give em' an inch and they'll take a mile! :)

Who says ya shoudn' have instant puddin' with J-E-L-L-O!
P.S. I think I found a new, more organic tanning creme. After I got all that pudding off her arm it was a nice bronze-y shade. :)

3 comments:

  1. Very cute and creative. Are you planning on homeschooling in grade school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Very creative :) Molding alphabet shapes in cookie or play dough works well too :)
    Elora used to get very frustrated when her letters weren't exactly perfect. I found that when I stopped pushing so hard and let them be a little wobbly, she didn't stress about it so much and the letters got straighter with time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - you are brave!!!!! That is some nasty-messy mess there... but delicious, I'm sure! Great way to get her to practice her letters!

    ReplyDelete