I have always said that K got her Daddy's intelligence. I mean, I'm not stupid...I was in a gifted class in elementary school, but I also know that T is on a whole other level. In school when we would study he would only have to go over something once or twice and it stuck with him, whereas I had to spend a little more time on it so I am pretty sure that K got his brains. Often times I am astonished and a little bit frightened of how darn smart she is. We admit to being biased in thinking our kids are adorable and brilliant, but K seems to honestly be above average.
~
My first clue was when she learned her letters at 18 months, and I didn't even have to teach them to her. I think she just picked them up from the several ABC books we had, but I never actually went over them with her.
~
I have been trying to get her to write lately, but she's had absolutely no interest...until a few weeks ago. I have been making the little dashed lines for her to copy for ages and she would never even attempt it. Then when we were making Daddy and Papa's birthday cards she just all of the sudden went for it. This was her first attempt...pretty legible! Only the Y is unrecognizable since she crossed the top as well. :)
~
She knows all of the letter sounds so that wasn't too shocking, but then we read a little further and she sounded out and said the word "Plop" and then "Bonk" and finally "Crash". I was flabbergasted. Surely she couldn't have accidentally done all those ones. This was one of our new books so I knew she couldn't have had it memorized. Since then we have been trying out all sorts of words and I have to admit that she is pretty darn close to reading. She can sound out anything and most of the time she figures out what it is.
~
Not even three and she's already almost reading! She definitely got her Daddy's brains. Scary. How am I supposed to keep up with this kid??? Of course every time I try to take a video the skill somehow vanishes. This one below is the best I have gotten so far. She was reading several words for Noni and Papa so I ran and got my camera, but of course once I turned it on she stopped doing it. She does not like to perform unless it is on her own terms. :)
~
Hopefully I'll get a better video soon, but for now I'll leave you with this one...she really doesn't sound anything out in it, but you get the idea.
P.S. She learned her letter sounds from a video. It's the Leap Frog Letter Factory. She got it for her birthday from her friend Rowen last year. I would definitely recommend it! It's only half an hour and it teaches the letter sounds in a fun, cute way.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteShe is a smart cookie that is for sure! You do have your work cut out for you but in such an exciting, positive way of course :). I can't wait to see what the future has in store for K.
ReplyDeletedeleted above comment due to so many typos :)
That's great! Isn't it so fun when they start picking up on stuff?? She is definitely a smart one!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations ;) See how your homeschooling is paying off already?
ReplyDeleteI'd advise just letting her go at her own pace. Even though she's so smart, she's still a child and needs to play.. not bookwork. So if she's interested in writing, let her go for it! When she doesn't seem interested anymore, just let it drop until next time. If she can figure out the sounds of letters, maybe she'd be interested in learning digraphs (constants together like sh, th, wh, ch) .. though if she can figure out crash maybe she's already there! This is where Elora is in her reading and she's five.
~ Elizabeth