Last Friday night it was Grandpa’s birthday so we met Grandma and Grandpa in town for dinner and then did something I’ve been wanting to do for years…the living nativity! Every year I mean to do it, but I never remember before they are over! Thankfully T heard the advertisement on the radio and asked me about it.
This particular nativity is extremely well done! It is like being in the middle of a play! They had entertainment while we waited our turn in the church. They grouped us into “families” and then have up on the screen which “family” is up next.
I didn’t get any good family pictures. :P The ones I did get are pretty poor quality because no one else was taking pictures and I didn’t want to be flashing people in the darkness so I turned off my flash, but this is at least a glimpse…throughout the walk through Bethlehem they had other bible stories depicted. This was the party given for the Prodigal son when he returned.
They also had the good Samaritan, a leper colony, and the woman and the lost coin. They had a big “marketplace” set up with people “selling” all sorts of items and animals. The Roman guards were patrolling and would “yell” at you if you strayed from your “family”. Our leader had to pay our taxes to the Roman soldiers so they would let us register for the Roman census.
The kids got to pet the donkeys, a goat, and some sheep.
There was even a baby camel! You can see how big she is and she’s only 6 months old! Sorry for the blurry picture…that’s Bug petting her.
The girls’ favorite part was, of course, seeing baby Jesus in the stable with Mary and Joseph.
What a great experience! The whole thing lasted a lot longer than we expected and poor Peanut was starved (and an hour overdue to eat) by the time we were done so we rushed out of there and let the girls play in the McDonalds playground while I fed her in the car. We didn’t end up getting home until 10:30 (both Peanut and Bug fell asleep in the car) so it was a late night, but it was totally worth it! It really brought the Christmas story to life!
That is so cool! Where was it at? I know the north side one only does it every other year. So neat to make it come to life. What a great tradition!
ReplyDeleteWe were going to go to the one on the South Hill, but didn't make it. Is that the one you went to? I drove by, and it looked amazing!!
ReplyDelete