Monday, July 12, 2010

Oh Canada

We spent Saturday and Sunday in Canada! I wanted to surprise T with a getaway weekend, and it worked! Pretty much. He had a little tip off, but thankfully he forgot about it and was pretty surprised. :)
~
The biggest part of the surprise was that we left the girls with my parents! Considering the fact that I didn't leave K overnight until she was 2 years and 8 months, that is pretty shocking. :) It definitely wasn't easy! I missed my baby! And since I am exclusively nursing it was really a trip for three T, the breast pump, and I. :P Not exactly the getaway I had in mind, but it worked and we had a great time. The girls had fun too and they did great without us.
~
We started out on our little road trip on Saturday morning. Our destination was about three miles from the border. (As far as we had to go to get to Canada and not much further.) Haha :)
~
We stayed in a bed and breakfast...a first for us...and while it was nice, we decided we are more hotel-people than bed and breakfast people. Everything was really nice it just felt like we were visiting long lost relatives or something. I was expecting it to be a little more...I don't know...professional? Which I guess some of them might be, but this was just staying in a room right in the middle of someone's house. But it was a very nice room, in a very nice house, and our host was a pretty good cook. Haha:)
~
It was just kind of awkward to be in someone's home that we didn't know. She had a friend there and they wanted to sit and chat, hear where we had gone and what we did, and I thought we would eat breakfast on the deck or something, but we all just sat down at the table together. It wasn't a bad experience, but I think we'll stick with a hotel next time. :)
~
So since it was somewhat of an awkward situation we didn't really stick around the B&B too much. We put our bags in our room and left to explore. We found a little Par 3 golf course that was just my speed. I'm not much of a golfer...I think it was my 4th time ever...but it was a great course for a beginner. We had a lot of fun, and T taught me a few techniques. Par for the course was 27 and I got 58, but I achieved my goal which was not to lose my ball! Yay. :) T, of course, did much better. :) We had fun just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful day.
~
After golfing we went for a drive and explored the nearby towns. We found a little Italian place for dinner and it was really good. Then we got some ice cream and went for a little walk/hike up to some falls.
~
This isn't a very good picture, but it was really pretty.

The town is built around this beautiful lake. We walked along the beach but didn't do any swimming. I had never seen this, but T told me it is a sport...standing on top of a kayak-looking thing and paddling? It was pretty neat...I know I couldn't balance like that!

We saw a LOT of deer! And half of them were in town. :) This one was in someone's front yard, and we saw another one inside the fenced playground of an elementary school.

And of course there were lots on the side of the road...and in the road. :)

We kept laughing at all the different sayings and such. The "Gas Bar" for instance, and the grocery store called "Extra Foods" not your regular stuff...just the extras. There was another grocery store called Overwaitea Foods...overweight? I probably wouldn't be inclined to shop there. :)

It was the little things that made the trip fun and made us feel like we were somewhere foreign...like the fact that everything is written in both English and French.

All the kilometer signs took some getting used to. I think 50 km/h is somewhere around 35? And almost all of their signs are hanging on posts like this instead of mounted on a pole like ours.

We are easily amused. :)
~
All in all we had a WONDERFUL relaxing time and it was a great celebration of six years of marriage. I am so blessed to have such an amazing husband!

And we are even more blessed that one of the best parts of our trip was coming home!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! I'm glad you were able to get away, just the two of you. That is so important! Jared & I stayed in a B&B in Leavenworth and they had separate rooms with a private entrance. We had our own key and everything. It was perfect. They delivered breakfast to our doorstep in the morning. I can imagine the awkwardness of sitting down to a table of food with strangers, especially when you just want to spend time with your man!
    Glad you didn't hit any deer! They can be crazy sometimes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great you guys got to get away for your anniversary. It's nice to have some alone time and it was a gorgeous weekend for a road trip.
    We've never tried a real B&B either. I've always been a little reluctant for the same reasons you listed. We have stayed at a couple inn type B&B's and those were fun. One on the west coast and one in Santa Fe. We ate breakfast in a dinning room set up like a cafe at one and on the patio at the the other, but we had our own tables so we didn't have to talk to the other guests or host if we didn't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a brave girl! Brian has talked me into leaving Keith for the first time ever next week and I am scared out of my mind. He just turned 2! Any advice ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. It is just one night and we will be in the same town as him :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great trip!! I know what you mean about the B&B thing...the first time we stayed at one, it was so weird! We almost never did it again, except that we found one that seemed different, and it was - so we liked it a lot better.

    I'm glad y'all got away and had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete