Monday, June 7, 2010

Meat Parade

Okay, well it wasn't a parade of meat. This post is just about meat and a parade, but the title looked funnier when I put the two subjects together. :)
~
Anyway...
We had a nice, easy-going weekend. On Saturday we went to a parade in a nearby town. Bug had so much fun! She kept pointing to everything saying, "Mommy! Daddy! Look! Look!" She especially loved the "princesses" on the floats and the horses. She waved to just about everything that went by. So cute. :)
I thought this was the funniest part of the parade. All this HUGE stuff was going by, floats, tractors, horses, etc. and then this tiny little dog walks by. SO funny. He was literally only a few inches long, and probably the smallest dog I've ever seen.

After the parade we met up with my Mom and Bug got to go spend the night at Noni and Papa's house. We headed into town to do some trouble shooting at our old house. All the rain we've been getting was causing problems. Well, I guess I should say the weather has been causing problems. First the huge windstorm apparently took out the gutters that T had installed in February, and then the 3 1/2 inches of rains we've had in the past week did their work of filling up the window well and flooding part of the basement living room.
~
So that was fun. Not really. :) But it didn't take too long and then we were on our way home again. We went to a couple of graduation parties and then had a relaxing evening at home. I cooked some meat. Yes, it was exciting. :)
~
Actually, it was kind of fun. I learned a tip from someone the other day and I think it's the best idea since sliced bread. Or peanut butter. Or whatever floats your boat. :)
~
Since I am not a person who likes handling raw meat this method is especially nice for me. First you get some meat. This time I did hamburger but I've also done it with chicken and it works great.

Then you cook it all up at once. I used one package to make meatballs and the other to just do ground beef.

So you only have to handle the raw meat once and you get a bunch of meals worth of meat. Then you can just freeze it in sandwich bags and put those bags into a freezer gallon bag. The next time you want to make tacos, spaghetti and meatballs, hamburger helper, etc. you just grab a bag out of the freezer and you're good to go!
~
The other day I was in a hurry and made a Hamburger Helper and T said something to the effect of he actually prefers that to a homemade pasta dish. Well, forget all the hard work then! It's going to be Hamburger Helper from now on. :)

This method really saves time and the unpleasant task of cooking the meat every time. I got four meals worth of meatballs and five meals of ground beef.

I'm sure that was just as exciting for everyone else as it was for me. Haha. Whatever works! :)

2 comments:

  1. Getting caught up on the blogs. I love all the pictures of the babies together. S is seriously adorable. And I love k's little ponytails :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little dog IS hilarious - right in the middle of all the huge floats! Love it.

    I have found that I am unfit for freezing things - ever. I always forget about them, or if I do remember, it's not in enough time to freeze them. Every time we've moved, I've had meat in there from the first week we moved in. No more. I do not allow myself to freeze. It's just not economical - because I'm a poor freezer-user.

    ReplyDelete