Our next stop was Albuquerque! Cousins S and B live not too far away from there so they drove up to join us for the evening! The kids (and Uncle M) got to swim in the hotel pool for about an hour before it closed. We were surprised by how quickly the sun went down in the south. At home sunset is nearly 10pm in July. Here it was 8pm.
The girls had a blast swimming with the cousins!
Since they couldn't swim any longer we got pjs on and went for ice cream! I think this was the girls first time getting Cold Stone and it was a big hit!
Thanks so much for coming to meet us Uncle M and Aunt N!
The next morning we hit the road in great anticipation of reaching Texas!
We had to take turns getting to push the elevator buttons.
Lou loves elevators now. :)
We were welcomed to Texas with some heat!
We were thankful to be in the air conditioned car and not outside in that. :P
We stopped to grab pizza for dinner on our way to camp and I had to get a picture of this plant...it looked like a giant aloe vera! I'm not sure if that's what it was, but I thought it was cool.
We reached camp and settled in for the night in the original cabin. Aunt K, Uncle K, and Aunt J had been there the previous week to drop off all the Amazon-ordered stuff for the "new" cabin, leave some tools, and open things up.
The next day T and I got started on the Cousins cabin and Noni and the girls packed up for some more driving and headed to Aunt K's and Pawpaw and Nana's house!
I was sorry that we weren't able to go with them, but we had a lot to do to get the cabin livable! They had a great time visiting with everyone and seeing the original family ranch!
My cousin K sent me this sweet picture of Pawpaw and the newest great-grandbaby!
Lego-ing with cousins!
Feeding the baby.
Peanut, our animal whisperer, was able to catch Aunt K's wild kittens and name them all. :)
Thanks for hosting our wild and crazy crew Pawpaw and Nana!
They headed back our way the next day giving us two full uninterrupted days to work and whip the cabin into shape. Another day on the road...another gas station stop...
T actually had a board meeting he had to attend (via Zoom) and was able to borrow a car from one of our extended family members at camp. He had to sit at a McDonald's for hours since it was one of the only places with wifi. :P
I stayed back at the cabin and spent six full hours wearing a mask and cleaning out mouse nests that had accumulated over the past ten years or so of human vacancy. Once I had everything cleaned out I bleached the whole cabin and then was finally able to start putting stuff back in. We were calling it our gypsy cabin with all the junk piled out front.
I'm sure the neighbors were a little worried during those two days, but they were super sweet and encouraging. :) I have to admit I was questioning my life choices there for a bit while dripping in sweat, wearing a mask, and scrubbing up mouse messes. :P I could hear them laughing and playing games and visiting while I worked and it was just the push I needed to get it done, giving me the vision of years of family fun and memories ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment