Oh, boy we had a rough night last night. K has no heat in her room so when we moved her upstairs we purchased one of those small forced air room heaters.
~
Well when we went to town yesterday we turned it off for the first time and when we got back it was past bedtime so we hurried through the bedtime routine, hit the power button on the heater and left.
~
Apparently you have to specifically set it every time. Instead of it being set on 70 degrees we just turned it on. So at about 4:30 in the morning I heard K get up and out of bed. I gave her a few minutes, hoping she would get back in bed, but when I heard her playing quietly I went upstairs.
~
I opened the door to a blast of heat. It had been on all night and the thing said it was 87 degrees. Her face was all flushed like she had a fever. I guess she thought it was time to get up b/c she was out of bed, with the light on, having just put her "church shoes" on and starting to get her toys out.
~
It took quite a while to cool the room down and get her back to sleep. I think we got back to sleep somewhere around six. Ugh. Live and learn I guess.
~
Anyway, that is totally off the subject of this post, I just needed to share the misery of our night. :)
~
When I started packing K's things for her upcoming sleepover at Noni and Papa's (while we are at the hospital) I thought it would be fun to get her a special bag to put everything in. Backpacks are definitely not in season. This is the only one I could find other than big outdoorsy camping ones. It was just plain pink...pretty cute but boring. So I decided to embroider her name on it...and then the bottom looked really plain so I put a little flower garden on it.

I tried to think of some fun things to put in there that she would be excited about and be looking forward to. We included the Big Sister book that Noni and Papa bought her when we found out we were having a baby.
Since she is so into baking and cupcakes are one of her favorite things we bought her the stuff to make pink cupcakes for her sister's "birth"day. Of course we had to have "spintles" to go on top. :)
I also bought a big pink poster board, markers, and she picked out these Pooh stickers to make baby a welcome poster like they do in the Big Sister book.
So she's all packed and ready to go. Now it's just the waiting.
She loves her "pack-pack" and has been wearing it all over the house. She keeps saying, "I'm ready to go to Noni's!" and I keep telling her that we have to wait until God decides it's time for the baby to be born. I'm not sure she's accepting that anymore...she's ready to get the show on the road!
I had my doctor's appointment yesterday and hadn't really made any progress at all from last week. He doesn't seem to think it will be any time soon and said, "See you next week." on our way out. But T is trying to get a bunch of stuff wrapped up at work so he can take some time off so I guess it is good she isn't here yet, and I'm getting lots of stuff done in the meantime.~
One thing I am really bummed about is that K is not going to be able to come up to the hospital to meet the baby. B/c of the H1N1 they have a really strict visitor policy right now. Visitors under 18 have to be direct siblings AND have to have proof of being vaccinated against H1N1. We chose not to vaccinate her for very specific reasons, so there is no way we are going to have it done now...and it has to be done two weeks prior to the visit so it is probably too late anyway.
~
So all my plans about how their first meeting was going to go are down the tubes and I'm trying hard to come up with a new mindset. It's funny how your expectations can make you so set on something. Their first meeting is just going to have to be here at the house, which seems so anticlimactic, but maybe it will work out for the best anyway.
~
We are praying hard for the timing of the birth and hoping that we only have to stay one night in the hospital and can then go home the next morning. I know that God has it all under control and He can work it out MUCH better than I could ever try to orchestrate. :) Now we just have to trust Him!

I felt hot just hearing about the overworking heater hahahaha.
ReplyDeleteThat big sister kit looks so fun! You are doing an amazing job of getting her prepared for the baby. Those pics make me wish I could be there to help K & Noni make strawberry "tuptates"
I love your idea of a big sister kit...how darling. I'm going to have to do something like that for Rylan. I've been thinking of you every day, wondering when baby will come. Another friend of mine has the same due date as you and they just discovered that her son can't go to the hospital either without the H1N1 shot, so they are trying to get it done really quickly. I'm sure K's meeting with her little sister will be just as special at home!
ReplyDeleteSO many cute pictures of K in this post. The pack pack :) is a great idea. I was wondering is the restrictions about H1N1 had come up yet. They have been pretty restricted everywhere since this summer. Has your Dr given a hard time for not getting the shot? I've heard from other people he strongly reccommends it. (But I won't have gotten it either)
ReplyDeleteThose pictures of K packing her back are ADORABLE! I'm quite impressed with your backpack fancying up skills, too!
ReplyDeleteThat really stinks about the hospital. Are you sure that they're strict about it? When Tessa was born, they had that rule at our hospital (there were signs posted everywhere), but no one said ANYTHING about me having Ali and AJ up there, and when we got on the recovery floor, they just asked me if they'd had a runny nose recently, and when I told them no, they told me it was fine. But who knows - they may be more strict at your hospital. At any rate, their first meeting will be really special - no matter where it happens!!